Thursday, June 18, 2009

Weather Prediction

That's quite impossible. Even the best supercomputers will fail to predict Melbourne's weather for the next 6 hours. But a safe bet would be for the weather man to say that it would be a partly rainy, partly cloudy, partly sunny day. Yes, that happens everyday, multiple times, just that the ordering of events is pure random.

Nowadays the max is 11 and the min is 6. It remains cold throughout the day. This week has been particularly windy as well, which somehow gives me the strange sensation of feeling hot and cold at the same time, when I stand in the sun. But I still go to the rooftop, whenever I succeed in solving some problem, which had been troubling me for sometime. It's a good view of the city from there. You can see the main streets, the University square, the Eureka tower, two bridges over the Yarra, the huge roof of the museum sheltering the rainforest, Melbourne Central tower, Parliament house, a giant ferris wheel which had been abandoned after it developed a crack, and thousands of cranes strewn over the city at work. The Melbourne cityline follows a Gaussian curve. Once you go ouside the city you would see it rise to the clouds over a small area, and everything around is flat.

There are fewer students in the campus now because they are having their exams at the Old Parliament House. So the Union House is relatively empty. That's where I have my food. I like sitting outdoors on the wooden benches to eat, but the seagulls and pigeons literally fight with me over the food.

Coming back to the weather, there is another thing you can convincingly say, -that it won't rain cats and dogs under any circumstances, however threatening the clouds may look. But when there are showers and water fills the irregularities, creating pools, the comparer in me thinks "the differences are reduced now".

No comments:

Post a Comment